Over the last couple of months I noticed a couple of blogs I follow were taking part in a stitch-a-long, sharing their progress on embroideries. I finally sussed out who the organiser was, it was Avis from Sewing Beside the Sea…so I have joined the stitch-a-long!
It’s a great linky party, every three weeks we share our progress on our latest stitching project. Three weeks is perfect time I think, particularly with things like cross-stitch, it takes a while to get a noticeable difference that’s worth blogging about, but three weeks isn’t so long that everyone has forgotten about it (I hope!!)
Anyway, I’ve just started a new embroidery project which I will be sharing with you every three weeks for some considerable time!!
At a recent Embroiderers Guild Day, there was a half price book sale, I spotted a book on ribbon embroidery. I bought it! I have to confess that when I initially flicked through it I thought it was a how-to-do lots of different flowers book. When I got it home I realised it was the instructions to make a panel of several little diamonds of flowers.
It’s a book by Di Van Niekerk called Ribbon Embroidery and Stumpwork. The panel is stunning and after a quick flick on Etsy I was lucky enough to find the background panel still for sale. The idea is that the pre-printed panel gives the outline and also a bit of depth, it is then embroidered with ribbons and stumpwork. Isn’t it gorgeous!!
I’ve never done stumpwork before and I’ve only done a little ribbon embroidery so it’s going to be a huge learning curve but the instructions look pretty good! Di uses her hand dyed threads, silk and perle threads as well as the usual six strand floss. My budget wouldn’t quite stretch to those so I’ll mainly be using DMC together with a few treats I bought in Delicate Stitches last week. Yesterday we had a ribbon embroidery workshop with Skipton Embroiderers Guild (more of that later!) so I took the opportunity to be some lengths of silk ribbon. I do have some plain silkribbon too so I think I may be dying some of my own with my silk paints.
I’m being strict with myself and starting at panel one and working my way through the book. The first panel is of ‘An Aloe & a Spider’s Web’. The stems of the aloe are actually proud of the fabric, they are made with cake decorating wire bound with embroidery floss. It’s pushed through to the back at the bottom, but just laid on top by the flower. It does give a nice 3d effect. I’ve started with the bullion bars for the flower. The instructions call for one strand of silk thread, I’ve just used one strand of DMC so far, but I must admit I’m tempted to change to 2 strands to get a bit more structure.
The silver spider’s web has a tiny spider in the middle for which she recommends an earring. I did think that just before Halloween I would have a fair chance of finding some tiny ones. I spotted a pair on ebay, ordered them (they were only about £1.80) but I think it will be too big, so I might be using a black bead and embroidering eight legs!
Hopefully over the next three weeks I’ll make some progress, I might even get the spider embroidered in time for Halloween!
Why not have a look what everyone else is stitching, just follow the links to see some stunning projects;
Everyone is in different time scales, so if there isn’t a post when you first look, check later in the day. If you fancy joining us for the SAL, just send a message to Avis.