Since I decided to put the Splendid Sampler on one side for a couple of weeks to concentrate on my other two BOM’s I’ve made great progress…
My Secret Garden quilt is almost there now, this is a BOM from Pat Sloan (she’s one busy lady!!), we’re just waiting for the final block at the beginning of October and I can finish it. A couple of blocks were repeats of earlier blocks but with different colour combinations, it was amazing the difference it made, though I did find I had to really concentrate to work out which fabric was needed for each block. I decided to start sashing, I took a block with me to the Northern Quilt Festival and tried it against a few different greens. I always have problems with plain green as it seems the colour I want isn’t available!! I found a dark green that would suffice.
I cut 2.5″ strips and also cut 2.5″ squares in different shades of gold for the corner stones. The sashing went on pretty well and I like the effect of the dark green, it really shows off the blocks. As soon as the next block comes out I can get this quilt finished. I’m thinking of giving it to my mum for Christmas, it crossed my mind that she had asked two or three times what I was going to do with it and I gave last years BOM to my in-laws, so she can have this one.
I turned my attention to my Anderson Farm quilt, this BOM is by Lynette Anderson. I got a bit behind with it when I was struggling with needle turn applique, things improved when I decided to use bondaweb instead, but I still felt quite a bit behind.
I’ve been embroidering block 6 which is a red barn with two cats on the roof, this block just needs the decorative button adding. This month the button is a barn quilt of one of the mini pieced blocks. I’ve stopped stitching on the buttons straight away as I can see they will cause problems with quilting.
I pulled all my completed blocks out of my workbox and realised I’d done more than I thought I had. I methodically went through each month, stitching the bits I’d missed. The main blocks missing were the little hearts, I’d done one with needle-turn quite successfully at the beginning but none since, mainly because I wasn’t sure whether to use bondaweb like all the other blocks (apart from the first one) or whether to do it properly! I decided to stitch them with needleturn applique and actually they didn’t take long. I could then stitch the block groups together, which made me feel a lot happier about my progress.
This week I’ve been stitching ‘First Love’ which has two cute rabbits on, I just need to add the button for the second rabbit, isn’t it a gorgeous button! ‘Peace Offering’ is the fox one, I’ve just to finish the embroidery on this one. These two go opposite each other, I realised when I started ironing on the shapes that I had forgotten to reverse the image, so mine is the other way round, I had to remember to stitch the ‘other’ bunny as obviously I couldn’t reverse the button!
I’ve just two strips of squares to stitch together and I’m up to date and feeling smug 🙂 I’ve no idea what the layout is like, but having arranged my blocks together it is growing on me, I like it! I think the next installment is the last one, so that will be two quilts finished!