When I was moving all my sewing stuff into my new sewing room last week I found a box making kit which I had completely forgotten about, it was quite fortuitous really as I was looking at box kits on Google only a couple of weeks ago! Even luckier was the fact that despite no longer being in it’s bag, I still had all 28 pieces and the instructions!! I thought I’d better make it up before I lose it again!
It was perfect for the variety handicraft class in the local show which is coming up soon. I found a really pretty length of batik left over from a quilt and some coordinating cream for the lining. The kit is for a hexagonal box with a lift off lid, measuring 8″ across and 3.5″ deep.
The kit is made by The Needle Workshop, I’ve just looked on their website and sadly they are no longer making kits, although they are selling the patterns. The kit included all the card pre-cut and clearly labelled, it’s nice heavy card too, the instructions are well written and clear though I tended to make it my own way as she tends to use a lot of glue whereas as I prefer the traditional way of lacing and ladder-stitch. I always seem to fall out with glue, it either doesn’t do it’s job or it does it too well, there’s no second chance with glue!! I think I also enjoy the process of making boxes, I don’t particularly want a quick make with glue.
I started with the main box, I used quilting batting to line each piece. I cut one long piece then with the side pieces all sellotaped together, stuck it on with 505 basting spray and then started lacing. Lacing is one of those jobs where you can sit and day dream whilst you’re doing it, unless like me you cut your cotton so long it keeps tangling!!
I stitched the sides to the base with ladder stitch and then started on the lining. I wanted to have pockets round the sides so I laced the side lining pieces individually, made elasticated pockets and then I did use glue to stick the pockets round the back of the side pieces, I had to be careful though as I knew I still had to stitch the sides together and glue tends to set like concrete. I left them with clover clips on overnight to dry.
I decided to embroider the batik for the top, just high-lighting the design really, I filled the centre of the rose with french knots in one of those gorgeous new DMC variegated threads. The green chain-stitch is where there is a green line on the fabric, it’s the one bit I’m not 100% on, but it’s done! I back-stitched round the rose, imagining where the petal shapes might be, the leaves are back-stitched too. I felt it needed a bit more so I used running stitch round the background flowers which I think works really well. Once the stitching was complete all I had to do was lace it round the board, it took a while to centre it, those clover clips came in very useful again!
I used the same variegated DMC threads to embroider my initials and the date on the lid lining, I try and date most things I make where ever possible. It’s surprising how quickly time passes and you forget how long ago it was made.
The lid is made the same way as the base, it just snugly fits over the box. I was hoping to get away without having to ladder-stitch the outer and inner layers together around the rims, but despite using glue and clover clips, I wasn’t happy, so I got out my curved needle again and stitched round, the little clips came in useful again to hold the tension on the bit I’d just stitched.
I’m really pleased with my box and even better, everything was from my stash! Another entry ready for the show, just got about seven more things to make…