I bought this fabric on our Yorkshire Spoolettes meet-up when we visited Fabworks in Dewsbury, it’s quite a firm knit in a lovely deep shade of plum, it almost looks navy in some lights. My over-locker is playing up again so I sewed it all on my sewing machine using the stretch stitch.
I decided I wanted to make a midi skirt to go with the jacket and I also wanted the rib to go down, not across the outfit. This meant I had to cut it out across the grain. I had 2.5m and just nicely fitted both patterns on. The skirt pattern is for an above knee length, I just cut it as long as my fabric would allow!
When I first made this skirt pattern a few weeks ago I really wasn’t happy with the way they finished the waist, on this one I turned the fabric under the elastic about 0.5cm and stitched it stretched to match the fabric length. I then folded the fabric inside over the elastic so the elastic was completely enclosed and then edge-stitched through all layers along the lower edge, thereby making an elasticated waistband. I’m much happier with this method.
The cardigan went together beautifully, I edge-stitched round the collar with a decorative stitch which looks a bit like feather stitch. I was so pleased with the result I used it to hem everything too, it nicely acts as both a zig-zag and a seam at the same time.
I think this is one of my favorite outfits from this pattern, it’s made a great casual suit, it’s lovely to wear too.
I’m being treated to breakfast at Betty’s Tearoom in Ilkley for Mother’s Day by my children so I think I might just wear this outfit.
OK, so now it’s down to the nitty-gritty, my end of month stash report! I think I’ve done pretty well this month considering how much I bought, 18m of fabric was at the Yorkshire Spoolettes day, so I blame Ali from Thimberlina for taking us to irresistible shops!!!! I’ve donated some which in my defense were mainly leftovers which were too big to scrap, but do I really want two skirts from the same fabric! I’ve made two shirts, a top and a dress, two skirts and a cardigan, not bad for one month!
February Stash Report; Balance brought forward 89m on 31st January
Fabric bought; 24.5m
Fabric donated; 11.7m
Fabric sewn; 17.9m
Fabric stash on 31st February 83.9m
I’m pretty pleased with that 🙂