I’ve started ‘The Splendid Sampler’ BOM from Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson, this is the first week and so far I’ve managing to keep up, though if Thursday’s block had been the first one, I might not have been so tempted!!! The block designs are released every Thursday and Sunday…mmm…twice a week, that’s why I hesitated before starting!! On the plus side they are only 6 1/2″ square, so there is a limit to how complex they can be…or so I thought!!
The first one was fairly straight forward and very pretty, I hand appliqued the heart, I was very pleased with this as it’s my first attempt at applique, good practice I thought for when I start Lynette Andersons latest BOM which arrived this morning!
Thursday’s block involved cutting out 26 1 1/2″squares and another ten slightly bigger ones for the butterflies! All I can say is I’m so glad I bought the die cutter!!!
I’m trying to make a more subtly coloured quilt this time so I decided to go for cabbage white butterflies, which flutter round our garden all summer, so it’s fairly apt! I managed to fussy-cut the birds too. It took me ages to arrange the blocks in a ‘random’ pattern, I do struggle with ‘random’!! It was definitely nor the moment to sneeze, some of those squares might never have been seen again, especially with the state of my sewing room at the moment!
The actual sewing went fairly straight forward, however having 5 seams each way meant the odd fraction out on a 1/4″ seam made all the difference, so my finished square measures nearer 6 3/4″. I felt a bit better having read on facebook how many others had a similar problem. You can see the size issue in the photo!
The pattern called for antenna embroidered with back-stitch. I noticed a few on facebook also added a body using a bullion bar, I rather liked the effect so I decided to do likewise. For some reason I always have to get a book out on how to do bullion bars, I can never quite get it into my head, despite stitching them lots of times! So having refreshed my memory I stitched a bullion bar using two threads of embroidery cotton and about 14 wraps to get the length. The antenna were stitched with a single thread.
Despite the size problem I’m pleased with block two, I’m hoping I’ll be able to make adjustments when I’m adding sashing.
Next block comes out tomorrow 🙂