Last night over on Sugar Lane Quilts it was time for the monthly Friday Night Sew In, I decided to get on with an outfit from knitted fabric using Butterick 6256. This pattern has proved a success over winter in that I have made the cardigan three times, this time I decided to try the top and the skirt.
I bought some purple knit fabric on Jaks stall in Leeds market after my overlocker workshop at the Yorkshire School of Sewing last year, it was only £4 a metre and its like a synthetic version of ponte, great for trying out a pattern.
The pattern is so simple, the skirt has two identical pieces, the top has just a front, back and sleeves, I could just get them both out of my length of fabric.
I stitched them both on my overlocker, the only bit I wasn’t so keen on was the waist band on the skirt, the elastic was stitched to the top of the skirt on the inside and then just folded over and caught at the side seams. Somehow it just looked to me like something you would buy at a cheap shop, I would have preferred a bit more finish, having said that, it was quick to make. I tried using a double needle for the hem but fell out with it big time, it just wouldn’t sew. I tried it on a scrap first and it looked ok-ish, just a couple of missed stitches, but when I came to do the hem it more or less skipped every stitch, like it wouldn’t stitch, so I just stitched it with a standard needle!
The top went together quickly too, the neckline is just double folded and top-stitched, I wasn’t sure it would sit neatly but it’s turned out great, I used the same finish for the sleeves and the hem.
I’m pretty pleased with these for everyday outfits, I wore the top today and it’s very comfortable. I like the length too, some bought ones are a bit short on me! I still haven’t decided though if both together it’s a bit too much.
I’ve got a length of Liberty jersey which I’m tempted to sew into another top, now I’ve tested the pattern!
My chief photographer is working today so I’ve had to use Florence, my muse, to model for me!!