Well I have finally finished my first BOM quilt, or Block of the Month for non-quilters! I’m so pleased with myself!! The design is by Pat Sloan and over on her website she released a block each month, starting in January. We had no idea what the quilt would look like until the end. I used it as a learning experience, and I’ve certainly learnt a lot, my blocks at the end are a lot more accurate than those at the beginning. I just used fabrics that were in my stash, many I’d had for donkey’s years. The starting point was the William Morris stripe, that’s what gave me the blue and brown colourway, ironically I used it least in my blocks as the stripes were just the wrong width! It made a nice border round the edge though.
This month we had to make all the filler squares, I finally got to play with my new purchase from the WI centennial fair! I treated myself to a die-cutter, I have to say it does make a difference. As Stuart Hillard (from the Great British Sewing Bee) said, quarter inch seams can be as accurate as you like, but if the cutting isn’t accurate in the first place, it makes no difference. The little blocks were noticeably more accurate, and it’s certainly easier when you have so many blocks to cut out, each little block was made from 8 squares and I had to make 32 blocks!!!
I was so short of fabric by the end (as I was determined not to buy any) that I cut out my borders first so I could use the leftovers. Some squares were even cut with corners missing as I knew a corner would be cut off anyway!
I’m really pleased with the finished quilt, the colours don’t really suit my house so it’s going to be a Christmas present, just got to quilt it now…