During the Me-Made-May challenge, I realised that my wardrobe was somewhat lacking in everyday separates, quite a few going out outfits, not much for going round the market or mooching round Skipton. I decided I needed a straight skirt. I had some heavier cotton fabric in my stash that I bought on Leeds market when I went with the Leeds sewing bloggers, not sure if you would call it a cotton twill or gabardine…you get the drift!
The pattern I used is one I’ve made before in wool, Burda 8765. The picture on the pattern really doesn’t help sell the pattern, but if you just want a basic straight skirt, it’s ideal. It’s a simple straight skirt with darts front and back, waistband and a kick pleat at the back. You can see it in wool here. Last time I made it I cut it out to a size 12 waist and a size 14 hips. As my wool skirt is fairly roomy for a fitted skirt I foolishly decided to cut it all out to a size 12. Mmm, BIG mistake, bottom clearly bigger than I thought, or hoped!!!
Seam ripper time! I unpicked the side seams and stitched it with just a 1cm seam, thereby gaining 2cm overall, it was just enough to make it fit nicely. I used my overlocker to finish the seams neatly. The zip was hand-stitched in as I still find it easier to get a neat finish that way. I hemmed it my usual way stitching bias-binding to the fabric edge and then slip-stitching it down, it gives a nice flat hem.
It turned out a bit longer than I anticipated but once I got used to it I love it. I finished it just in time to wear it to travel down to London in for the Women’s Institute AGM a couple of weeks ago. It was so comfortable but still managed to look smart after several hours sat in the coach.
I managed to persuade Helen to take some photos of me wearing it today, I think the paisley top I made last month looks great with it, it looks like it’s going to be one of those essential wardrobe additions!!