This week I’ve been busy sewing a variation on the ‘Jackie O’ jacket. I bought the Simply Sewing magazine this month and it was the free pattern, I’ve not used one of their patterns before so I decided to try it out. I adapted it slightly, I wanted it a couple of inches longer and full length sleeves as I’ve never really seen the point of a wool jacket with short sleeves!
I only had a metre of material so it was a bit tight cutting out. I used a length of wool I bought on Goldhawk Road last autumn, it was one of those impulse buys! It’s randomly patterned in purples and green, I love the colours! It feels felted, so I decided I would risk cutting the sleeves out across the fabric, rather than along it, otherwise I wouldn’t have had enough fabric!
I cut out a size 12 which was for a 37″ bust, this should have been plenty big enough, however having made it, it does feel a bit snug, so I might have been better with a 14, I certainly couldn’t put any fastening on the front.
It went together very easily, the sleeves in particular went in like a dream! The instructions were simple, although there were some bits of information that I couldn’t find anywhere, such as the seam allowance (I presumed it was 5/8″ as usual, I only checked because it was a bit on the small size) I decided to line it, I made an identical jacket in a purple lining fabric, stitched the facing as per instructions, but I couldn’t find anywhere the instructions for the back hem, so I cut a length to make a facing. I hand-stitched the lining in and top-stitched round the finished edge.
I’m pleased with it, it does feel a bit small, but I will get lots of wear out of it, just need something to go with it now…I think I need a purple sheath dress to go with it!