I’m on a bit of a roll with cushions at the moment, I made two as Christmas presents yesterday, I’ll show you those once I get pads in them both. I then started looking at tapestries I did years ago, and I mean years ago, like 20!! These are ones (I hope I’m not the only one like this) which ended up somewhat parallelogram shape, despite the use of a frame and several attempts to stretch them after. They’ve sat in my sewing room ever since.
Having pondered for a while I decided to just go with the shape and hope the cushion pad sorted it out! The design I’ve finished today was in a tapestry book, the tassels were embroidered in after the damask part had been stitched. The pink shading on the ball of the tassel is due to one of my attempts to straighten it, I dampened it and the felt tip I used for marking came through!! I wondered about trying to square it up using braid overlaid, but as you can see it is very out!
I went for a traditional log cabin design with three strips. It came out bigger than I thought..I know, I really should plan things better! I had a 20″ cushion pad, but this measured about 22″ To rectify this I stitched through front and back round the outer strip to create a border a bit like an Oxford pillowcase! I put the pad in, pushed it out of the way and then stitched up the gap, I just had to hand stitch the border edge then. It does mean that I can’t get the pad out again but realistically I’m not going to wash it so it really doesn’t matter!
I’m amazed how well this has come out, looking at it I wouldn’t guess how out of shape the tapestry is, so if you’ve got one lurking in a cupboard too, just go for it 🙂