I’ve been trying to finish a few projects this week, tidying up loose ends before I start my next big project. Last Monday at my Skipton Stitchers meeting we had a workshop on Crazy Patchwork, we had to prepare a square before hand using a pattern provided…
We then took a selection of trims and threads to the meeting to start embellishing the square, this was my selection, as you can see I went with a bee theme and a range of buttons, beads, trims and threads in blue and gold mainly.
Our first task was to embroider and trim the seams. I really enjoyed this, picking out the detail in the trim to guide my embroidery. Having stitched all day, I then carried on at home and by the end of Monday evening I’d finished the seams…
Next to stitch was the shapes themselves, I found this more difficult. trying to decide how to embellish it. ..
The bee in the centre I left unstitched as I liked the bee and the leaves as it was. The bee to the left I embroidered over the flower head with French knots, stitching the stems with stem stitch and fly stitch at the top. It’s embroidered but it keeps the feel of the original fabric.
The other three fabrics took a bit more thinking about. I decided to stitch a chain weaving round the white flowers. I added the French knots and then the wheatsheaf stitch in between. I used chain stitch for the little leaf clusters and then found some matt sequins for either end. The beads were added right at the end.
Next to be stitched was the soft spriggy one on the right. This one was the hardest and actually it’s probably the only one I would change if I did it again. I stitched three sprays of flowers to fill the triangular shape and then added the bee button. These buttons are made by JABCO and they’re rather pricey over here in the UK so I only have a couple, but they are sweet, it’s that small I needed a beading needle to stitch it on!
For the final dark blue shape I decided to do some more subtle embroidery, keeping the colours similar so the whole piece didn’t get too busy. I split stitched and then whipped the outline and then wove the grid with tiny stitches to hold the crosses in place. The outline of French knots picks up the dots around the leaves of the fabric. It needed a little something so I stitched a bead in each square, it’s just enough.
So here’s my finished square…
I found two books really useful, the first one is Hand Stitched Crazy Patchwork by Hazel Blomcamp which was already on my bookshelf. The second one was recommended by the member who was teaching us, Joyful Daily Stitching Seam by Seam by Valerie Bothell, I ordered it on line and I love it, full of different stitch combinations, nothing complicated, just pretty standard stitches, but put together in an effective way.
I’m hoping to use my square either inside or on the cover of a textile book I’m planning on bees.
I’m linking upiwith Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday, please follow the link to see what others have been stitching,