A couple of weeks ago I made a mouse from the Luna Lapin books, she’s a Christmas present for a little six year old who loves anything pink! I’m just calling her Miss Mouse at the moment so her new owner can choose her name.
Clearly Miss Mouse needs some clothes! First I made her some bloomers, I used some fabric left when I shortened a fine cotton nightdress for a friend, it already had the lace attached so I just needed to stitch the pintucks and then put them together, she even has a gap left in the back for her tail, the bloomers tie with a satin ribbon – pink of course! The bloomers are actually designed for Luna and she is a little taller than Miss Mouse so they’re a little long, I might decide to put an extra tuck in round the legs…or I might just leave them.
Next in line was a pin-tucked top, I love the little details in these patterns, I also like the fact that they are properly made, there’s no cutting corners for Miss Mouse! I blanket-stitched round the neckline to help hold the facing in place, the trim down the front and round the hem is some I’ve had in my stash for years, I’ve tried to use it with some of my cross-stitch smalls but invariably it was too white, it was just right for a pink top.
I decided to make the wrap dress for Miss Mouse in the same floral fabric as her ears and feet. The inside wrap closes with a press-stud – well actually Miss Mouse has two press-studs as she wanted the V low enough to show off the pretty trim, it gives a bit more room for extra Wensleydale cheese on Christmas Day too. It even has pockets for stashing whatever mice stash in their pockets!
As it’s so cold at the moment Miss Mouse needed a coat, I bought some lovely dusky pink felt from Cool Crafting whilst I was at the Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate. I decided to make the Luna ‘corduroy coat’ as it didn’t have quite as much detail as the one I made before for Luna. It is, however, a fully lined, bagged out coat! I usually avoid bagging out coats like the plague as it’s so easy to get it slightly wrong and it doesn’t hang right! For the non-sewers, bagging out is where you stitch the lining to the coat right round the edge, hem to neckline and back round, and then turn it out through a gap in the side seam…all whilst keeping your fingers crossed that it will come out OK! I decided to brave it with a mouse-size coat and it has come out fine!
It’s another Luna sized pattern so the sleeves were a little long, I trimmed them down and blanket-stitched over the edge to make it look finished.
I even managed to make some functioning buttonholes, stitching them wasn’t much of a problem as my machine has an automatic buttonhole foot, but cutting them was somewhat faffy.
I’m really pleased with Miss Mouse, I think a certain little girl will love her.