The Seaside Quilt HQAL

I’m making good progress on my Seaside quilt, this is the quilt designed by Kathryn Whittingham, the same designer as my favourite Cottage Garden quilt. This one is a similar layout but with seaside themed blocks, it reminds me of happy holidays in Whitby with my kids when they were little.

When I last posted about this quilt three weeks ago I was just over half way…

So over the last couple of weeks I have been working on the remaining blocks of the middle row. The next square one which balances with the little row of cottages was of three seagulls. I think many people have a love hate relationship with these raucous birds, they are noisy, big and sometimes quite scary birds – they think nothing of taking a sandwich from your hand. They are also part of the seaside atmosphere and as such you couldn’t have a seaside quilt without them!

There’s a fair bit of embroidery in these bigger blocks, especially with all the french knots to give a bit of texture to the sand dunes and the waves. I used pistil stitch too for the waves as it just sort of lengthens the french knot .

There were two more 4.5″ blocks to embroider too, another beach hut and an anchor. I’d stitched the lollipop at the beginning of the quilt when I stitched the ice-cream block. The anchor and the rope were a bit fiddly to cut out and position as the rope is threaded through a little hole cut in the anchor, but once it was stitched down with blanket stitch it was really effective.

This is the forth of six beach hut blocks I’ve stitched for the quilt. I’m not sure how much beach huts are mainly a British institution, so here’s a photo my friend Nancy took of beach huts down on the south coast…

The beach huts in Whitby are more of a uniform set of primary colours, which look very cheerful, but there obviously isn’t the opportunity to personalise your hut, I love the pale blue one.

With all the blocks stitched I could choose some 2’5″ squares to add to them and start stitching them together. I’m trying to get a balance with the little squares, mixing nautical, floral and abstract fabrics and scattering the more dominant colours, I’m getting a bit quicker at this now there’s more quilt done. The middle row is now finished…

I love the cheerfulness of this quilt, it definitely shouts British Seaside to me. I carefully pinned the top row and the middle row together and stitched the long seam, it went together perfectly…

Just one more row to make and then I can choose some borders and then start hand quilting it. I’ve already got in my mind how I’m going to quilt it, hopefully it won’t take too long.

The designer of this quilt, Kathryn Whittingham of Patchwork Katy, kindly gave me a copy of this book, but the views and opinions are my own. The book is easily available from her website, together with the Cottage Garden Quilt book, I’ve really enjoyed making these quilts and the instructions are great, aimed at someone with no experience.

Hand Quilt Along Links

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanetteSharonKarrin, and Daisy

I’ll also be linking up with Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

This entry was posted in Books, embroidery, Quilt-a-long, Quilting, Serendipity and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to The Seaside Quilt HQAL

1. This is growing nicely Margaret xx

2. sandidureice says:

Margaret this is very beautiful.

3. sandidureice says:

Sorry I am getting mixed up about who is Margaret. While reading Crafty Creek blog posts on a regular basis I don’t think I have picked up your name. Pardon me Margaret at Stitchingranny. Best regards from Sandi x

• craftycreeky says:

Sorry Sandi, you’re might be even more confused now, Stitching Granny is Helen from Stitchery Nook, I’m Margaret Creek, hence The Crafty Creek, best wishes 🙂

• sandidureice says:

Hi Margaret! That’s okay, thank you for the explanation. I have been following your blog for a very long time, but somehow have not picked up your name. I bought the Cottage Garden Quilt book based on the information on your blog, and the Seaside Quilt book is next on my list. I live in Australia but my daughter lives in the UK. Sometimes I forward your walks along to her because she loves walking holidays.
        Thank you for your reply, and beautiful blog.
        Sandi

4. Ivani says:

This is beautiful!

5. Such a beautiful quilt…I love all the characters on it 🙂

6. Deb A says:

Beautiful. This is a perfect memory of times at the beach.

7. Jane M says:

Looking fabulous

I love this quilt more each post! Living in South Dakota, I have few water memories, but I can just imagine happy family days on the beach every time I see this quilt. Your color and fabric choices are spectacular.

9. Gail says:

Looking at your quilt makes me want to go to the beach! Looking wonderful!

10. Sharon says:

Wow – this is coming together so beautifully. I have many beach memories but we did not have beach huts at our beaches. Your work is always a treat to see 🙂

11. Karrin Hurd says:

I really love this gorgeous quilt! You have made great progress!

12. Jenny Benton says:

Your quilt is looking even morexamazing each time you show pictures of it. Can’t wait to see it finished.

13. Sarah says:

I love this quilt and I must admit I’m very tempted to buy the book! Your work is lovely!

14. Cathie J says:

I love this quilt. Beach huts are not a thing here on Long Island, NY. They are something new to me. Most people just bring or rent an umbrella.

15. Deb says:

Sea gulls are definitely a most on this quilt! I rather like feeding those birds even if they are loud and rude at times.. they love popcorn. My dad didn’t like them much though,as we lived close enough to the ocean that when dad was working in the fields plowing the sea gulls would surround him ,he wasn’t happy at all when they pooped on him.😂

I love a seaside quilt and this is wonderful. I like the cheeky expression on the middle seagull. Think he would pinch a chip or two from a fish lunch.

17. Sea Gulls are part of our Britishness – a love/hate relationship for sure. A must for the quilt though! I love this quilt and how it is all coming together. I still like the houses best. Waiting to see how the bottom row comes together.

18. Emma says:

It looks amazing 😍 those little seagulls are just too perfect!

19. It certainly is a cheerful quilt and, as always, I am bowled over by all the stitching you have done