Earlier in the year whilst the Great British Sewing Bee was on television, Cool Crafting from Kendal ran their own version, the Great British Sewing Bunny. We had three hours each week to make a costume on a set theme for a Luna Lapin or one of her friends, it was great fun. One week the theme was heroes so I dressed my Violet as a Barts nurse, I trained as a nurse at St Bartholomews many moons ago and this is what our uniform was like, starched aprons and hat and a black wool cape…
Well one of my nursing friends was very keen to have her own Barts bunny, so whilst I was away at the weekend I started sewing Flossie. These are hand-stitched apart from the ears. My friend wanted pink ears, so I found a pretty pink ditsy print for her ears and feet, I left out the interfacing from the ears as I knew they would be getting squashed under a hat.
The hardest bit of these rabbits are the eyes and nose, the eyes are small buttons with some straight stitch eye lashes. For the nose I stitched over some pink felt so it didn’t look too pointed, I’m still not sure about her nose but I’ll wait until she’s dressed and see what she looks like then.
I made a pair of pretty pale pink French knickers from some broderie anglais in my stash, with a little white flower at the front.
She’s now waiting impatiently for the rest of her uniform…
…so the collar is made and the apron (all the white bits first!) I just have to finish putting the dress together, keeping my fingers crossed that the collar fits OK as I’m mixing two patterns together. Back in the day the collars were detachable, together with all the buttons, it used to take about ten minutes to sort out a clean uniform, and that’s if you didn’t have to make a hat!
Once the main dress is stitched I can add the extras like scissors, I’ve even managed to find a mini fob watch, then it’s just the cape to make.
Hopefully soon Flossie will be on her way to London, where else would a Barts Bunny live 🙂