I realised yesterday that one of my posts for Minerva has gone live, so I can tell you a bit about what I made now. Back in the summer I chose three things from their website and duly got a lovely parcel in the post containing some Anchor variegated threads (you know I’m a sucker for anything variegated!) a length of aida braid and a gorgeous fat quarter by Timeless Treasures. I just love those birds!
I decided to make a project bag, a sort of embroidery wallet. I like to have a little something to sew in my handbag for any opportune moment of stitching and up to then it was a ziplok plastic bag, practical but not very pretty! I wanted something practical and pretty!
I had a think about what I wanted to be able to carry and decided the shortlist was a 5″ hoop, embroidery scissors, needles and flosses. I sketched out a plan for one large pocket on one side and nine little pockets to put flosses in on the other.
I cut three 7” strips of Aida braid and embroidered each one with a different stitch, herringbone, buttonhole and chevron, to keep with the embroidery theme. I used a different Anchor thread for each one too. These three bands would make nine pockets for my wallet.
I cut a 7” x 14” piece of my main fabric for the outside. I managed to position it so two birds are perfectly positioned on the front. I used a coordinating piece of Kona Solid fabric for the inside. I interlined the inside piece with iron-on interfacing to give it a bit of support with the various pockets. I also cut a piece of scrap batting to soften it, I ironed another layer of interfacing onto the batting to give the wallet a bit of structure.
I made a simple pocket from another rectangle of fabric and added a felt bird shape from felt to make a little needle-holder. I stitched it on along the wing line, adding a French knot for it’s eye.
I stitched the pockets on, stitching vertical lines down over the Aida to make nine little pockets.
I layered everything together using clover clips to hold it in place. Just before I sewed around the edge I inserted half a childs hair elastic in the back to make a button loop. I stitched round with a quarter inch seam.
Once I’d managed the fiddly job of turning the wallet right side out I pressed it and edge-stitched round. Finishing touches included a self covered button on the front for fastening and two lengths of ribbon inside to keep the hoop and a pair of scissors safe.
My stitching wallet has been in daily use ever since, living permanently in my handbag, I love it! Changes I will make next time, I’d use a narrower Aida band and have more pockets, maybe four rows. The issue is not particularly the number of pockets, more that they are a little too deep, so I can’t easily see the numbers without pulling them out a bit. I’d also try and think of a different way of securing my scissors, ribbon may be pretty but it’s a bit faffy. I hate velcro but a velcro tab might be better, or I did wonder about a magnet, or would I just end up with all sorts stuck to it from my handbag! May be a popper tab…
If you would like more information on the construction or what I used, please follow the link and have a look at my Minerva post.