I finished my May cross-stitch from the Joyful World series ages ago but never got round to making it up. Having stitched my poppies humbug together I decided to keep going in stitching up mode…and stitched up three smalls!
I’m aiming to complete the whole set of Joyful World SAL by Snowflake Diaries, I think they are cute without being too twee. May is definitely cute with a cat and her kitten. This month I just made it into a simple pillow, twisted some cord from two green DMC flosses and hand-stitched it round. I’ve not even started stitching June so that one is going to be running late I think! I hang them in the conservatory just for their month.
The next two smalls you won’t have seen at all, I think I stitched them in the 1980’s and they’ve been sitting ever since in my workbox waiting to be displayed!
The cream cat is stitched in very fine needlepoint, over one thread, I can barely see the stitches now, never mind make them! I think it was a Lanarte kit. It was the second one I did like this and I vowed never again! One reason it was never made up is that it’s shape distorted to a trapezium and refused to realign to a rectangle, as there is a clear outline it stood out a mile if I wanted to frame it. It often is more of a problem with needlepoint rather than cross-stitch as all the stitches (and therefore the tension) go the same way. The other needlepoint miniature framed up beautifully, it’s of two cute kittens. I had two cats at the time so I stitched a few cat embroideries.
Anyway, back to the cream cat. I decided to ignore the fact that the outline wasn’t straight, and just squared it up. I found a pretty quilting cotton which coordinated with it nicely, picking out the soft pink of the pillow the cat is sat on. I cut a strip 1.5″ wide and made a log-cabin border around the edge to frame it and make it a bit bigger. The actual embroidery is only about 2.25″ by 3″
I backed it in the same fabric and stuffed it. To finish it I found some ric-rac in my trimmings box, I think I bought this in Cool Crafting in Skipton, it’s a gentler zigzag than normal and has a sort of feather stitch down the middle. I stitched it over the seam with a soft pink bead on every zig-zag. I really like the effect.
The third one to get finished is also from the 1980’s (yes, it’s probably been in my box about 30 years, all stitched and no where to go!) I stitched a few of these and I seem to think it was from a leaflet, I made the snowdrop one up a couple of months ago…
…I’ve a crab-apple in a cheap frame, earmarked for turning into a mini pillow, and I’m pretty sure I’ve a holly one too amongst my Christmas stuff. This one is a clover,which brings back childhood memories of fields full of clovers, hunting the elusive four-leafed clover.
I decided to make the clover one along the same lines as the snowdrop one, so I stitched a couple of rows of herringbone in two shades of green and added some pretty pink beads. I found a sort of clover pink ric-rack in my trims box which nicely went over the seam. Three little mother of pearl buttons just seemed to finish it nicely.