I can’t quite believe it’s time for another happy dance!!! I have been working on this embroidery since last September, a long time for me! Hope you’re sitting comfortably with a cup of tea, as there is a link to a photo book too!
The final panel includes daffodils, lavender and violas, some of my favourite flowers! First to be stitched was the daffodils. In the book Di has embroidered very blousy, almost plump daffs in a creamy colour, I like yellow daffodils, so I dyed some silk ribbon, perhaps a little too yellow but it will suffice! The trumpet was meant to be in organza with a frilly embroidered edge, I had a look on the internet and found some instructions using silk ribbon for the trumpet with tiny ribbon stitches in a deeper orange for the frill. Whilst it’s not my favourite flower I’m fairly happy with it. The outer petals are stitched with basic ribbon stitch, rather than lazy-daisy. The trumpet was made with several ribbon stitches. I learnt a new technique too, by forming the stitch over the shaft of a second needle, you get a nice flat end to your stitch.
Last but not least are the pretty little violas. These were stitched with silk ribbon with a touch of embroidery on the cream petals and a single bead in the centre. A few leaves and a little embroidery for the earth and my final diamond was finished.
Not quite time for happy dance though…
All the lattice framework is edged with two couched threads, first in a soft grey and brown thread and finally in a very fine silver thread. The silver thread is made by Anchor and it is lovely to sew with (unusually for metallic threads in my experience!) It may not look much but it took me a solid day stitching at my Embroiderers Guild meeting and a bit more in the evening.
The last few stitches were to embroider my initials and the date…and it’s finished!!
I was straight down to the picture framers in Otley to get it framed, it’s been triple mounted (with spacers in between as well) in a simple oak frame with a deep revere to give the glass enough distance from the embroidery. I also gave the framers a piece of batting for underneath as I thought it may help with all the wires in the back. Many embroiderers have stumpwork mounted without glass, but having two dogs and a woodburning stove, our house is too dusty to even consider it!
I still can’t quite believe I’ve actually finished it, or even that I’ve managed to embroider it. As they say here in Yorkshire, I’m well chuffed with it 🙂 I’ve dabbled in silk ribbon embroidery over the last couple of years, but I’d not tried stumpwork before this. It’s been interesting as I found I really enjoyed the stumpwork embroidery, probably more so than the silk ribbon, though silk ribbon has the advantage that you get good results pretty quickly!
Thank you for all the encouragement over the last few months. I have to say that if it wasn’t for the stitch-a-long every three weeks this would have ended up being a UFO. It was so way out of my experience or comfort zone that I would have given up, or procrastinated for so long that the effect was the same. As my mother used to say when we were little, “There’s no such thing as I can’t!”
I think it was Anne who suggested making a photobook of the whole project, I was on photobox making a book of our last walk and I decided to have a play to see how it worked. I really like it, so as soon as they have an offer on I’ll order myself a copy. I’ve made it public on the photobox site so if anyone would like to see the earlier posts all in one book or just see how a photobook of a project can work, please follow the link.
Why not have a look what everyone else is stitching in the stitch-a-long, just follow the links to see some stunning projects;
Everyone is in different time scales, so if there isn’t a post when you first look, check later in the day. If you fancy joining us for the SAL, just send a message to Avis.