Well I’ve finished my first item from the fabric I bought a couple of weeks ago at Goldhawk Road. I used a lovely soft wool in what I would describe as a fine dogtooth pattern to make a straight skirt with a kick pleat at the back. It could almost be called the skirt of many errors…do you have sewing where you just make every mistake you could?
The pattern I chose was Burda 8765, I must admit I didn’t find their instructions as clear as other pattern makes, I have to say at this point that a straight wool skirt is my standard winter wear, I’ve made lots over the years, but their instructions for the pleat completely lost me!! I liked the fact that the pattern includes lining, I always line them anyway but it’s nice for it to be included….even if I nearly made a complete pigs ear of it!
Over the last few years I’ve had problems making the clothes fit properly, I’m beginning to think post baby middle age spread isn’t the shape they are designing for!! I decided to make the lining first as a twall, sensible move! The 14 was a little big so I decided that as my bottom is the larger area, I would cut the front in a 12 and the back in a 14, that bit was successful, it fits nicely!
I made the skirt, attached the lining and then stitched the waistband on, it was only when I was hand stitching the waistband down that I realised I had attached the lining inside out…what a numpty!, I couldn’t face unpicking the waistband so I decided to salvage the situation, I flatfelled the lining seams to neaten them up and narrow hemmed it.
To hem the skirt I did my usual trick of stitching bias binding close to the edge, fold the hem up and press, the hem can then easily stitched up by blind-hemming the bias to the skirt as I did here, or hand stitching the bias. It gives a really neat hem as only one fold is needed and the raw edge is enclosed under the bias. I hem curtains the same way.
I then discovered mistake number 2, the lining was too short!!! What was happening! It was a length of lining I found in my stash, I can only think I thought by the time the skirt was hemmed it would be ok. I ummed and ahhed whether to leave it, would anyone notice…I would! I found a cut-off from the lining and basically stitched a 3″ length along the bottom, used a decorative stitch so it looks like its meant to be like that!!
After all the trials and tribulations, I’m really pleased with the finished skirt, it feels great on, I think it will get a lot of wear this winter.